ASTANA EXPO 2017
Urban Design ― World EXPO
Site Area: 1,792,000 sqmBuilding Area: 497,000 sqmTotal Floor Area: 2,438,800 sqm
EXPO 2017 to be held in Astana posed fundamental questions as to how a world fair is to be held at an age of sustainability concerns. IAA's main approach was of a long term for the large urban site as well as for the EXPO site itself. A holistic concept based of on the following:
1. Towards a polycentric city: The EXPO site as one and the 1st of satellite cities to surround Astana City Center and initiate a process of balanced growth of the city.
2. New skyline typology: Instead of the vertical icons seen at Astana along the main axis, EXPO 2017 is suggested as a horizontal icon, accessible to all people, representing a natural hill.
3. Shift in City Planning: By creating several islands of various functions around the EXPO site the urban plan emphasizes pedestrian, parks and public spaces over roads and traffic. All parking is located below ground and length of roads is minimized.
4. Compact EXPO site: In a shift from the standard Expo plan, an emphasis not on individual pavilions but on a unifying element which allows for a compact, sustainable and energy efficient EXPO while allowing for various pavilions to be expressed within it.
5. An all climate City: An urban/EXPO plan composed of multiple GF levels including an undergound winter city. In between spaces protected spaces create an unbroken connection between the open public spaces, the landscape and the buildings.